Friday, December 21, 2007

Chocolate Covered Cherries

No quilting for me last night. It was the annual chocolate covered cherry night.


I have been making candy for the holidays for years and I usually make peanut butter cups, turtles, chocolate covered pretzels, and coookies, lots of cookies. I just didn't feel like making all of them this year, but friends and family kept talking about the cherries, so here they are.

I first made cherries in about 1998, and the second time I followed a recipe where you soaked them in rum or some other alcohol for about 2 hours. They were really a hit. So, the next time I made them we soaked them in 151 Rum for about 2 weeks. Those babies were like drinking a shot............. a little too strong. So, I know that somewhere between 2 hours and 2 weeks is just right.

The cherries with the white chocolate drizzle were soaked in Everclear for 2 days and then dried for 2 days. The ones without the drizzle are just regular yummy chocolate covered cherries. I used a new ingredient this year called Intervase, which is supposed to speed up the process of turning the fondant into a liquid. We'll see how well that works, as you should normally wait 2 weeks for them to liquify.

No comments: