Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Congratulations To Me!


Today I celebrate my 11th Anniversary as a non-smoker! 

I can hardly remember what it was like to smoke. I'm sure I'm healthier, but I have put on a few pounds. Well maybe more than a few, but they are coming off slowly.

Cigarettes were $2.75 a pack when I quit and here's some interesting reading:


In that time I've saved over $5,545.10

I've avoided smoking over 40,181 cigarettes.

I've extended my life by over 195.32 days.
(think of how many quilts I can make in that many days!)


When you quit smoking:
  • After 20 minutes, your blood pressure drops back to normal
  • In 8 hours, the carbon monoxide levels in your bloodstream drop by half, and oxygen levels return to normal
  • In 48 hours, your change of having a heart attack decreases. All nicotine has left your system. You sense of taste and smell return to a normal level
  • In 72 hours, your bronchial tubes relax and your energy levels increase
  • In 2 weeks, your circulation increases and continues to improve for the next 10 weeks
  • In 2 month coughs, wheezing and breathing problems dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%
  • In 1 year, your risk of having a heart attack drops by half
  • 5 years after quitting, your risk of having a stroke will return to that of a non-smoker
  • 10 years after quitting, your risk of lung cancer will return to that of a non-smoker

So, if you're a smoker, please think about quitting. It's the best thing you can do for yourself!

10 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

congrats on this event!! I know how you feel; wonderful...I quit 33 years ago...they were 85 cents a pack then...lol. I remember saying; if they go up to a dollar; that's it!! And it was. Best thing you could ever do!!!!

swooze said...

Congrats! I know how tough it is to quit.

Cheryl Willis said...

My hubby came home one day after we first married and said, 'we don't smoke any more' and we didn't, never gave it a second thought. 30+ yrs, I wonder how many extra quilts that gives me- lol

the health reasons and $$ I could never go back to smoking

Paula, the quilter said...

Yay you! I quilt 12 years ago last month. It is the hardest thing to do.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

WAY TO GO!!! CONGRATS ON 11 YEARS!!

Sheila said...

Congratulations to you. What an achievement! I wish I could be as strong as you and all your commenters.

Marilyn Popplewell said...

You go girl!! I'm glad you've increased your life span. Shipshewana would not be the same without you.

fiberobsession said...

Yeah for you! Now I get to know you longer and that's a treat.

Gari in AL said...

Thanks for letting us celebrate with you. I quilt when they were $.50 a pack: I should live forever, right?

Quilter Kathy said...

Congratulations Ruthie! I am sure that was a very hard challenge, but so worth it!