Monday, March 16, 2009

Quilt Camp...The Pictures

My first project was a round robin/block swap from several years ago. I meet with a group of friends before guild and we have an ongoing block exchange. For 2 years it was a block exchange using your fabrics and design ideas. Then we tried a round robin and this year we are doing a row by row.

The first year my tote included batiks and a cream mottled background. The only instructions were that they were to use the background fabric and make a butterfly. It could be pieced, appliqued, embroidered....whatever they choose and there wasn't a specific size. When I got them all back at the end of the year, I decided to make a braid sashing/border. My original plan was to use the braids as a sashing between 3 columns of butterflies. They looked quite overpowering and Laurie suggested small sashing between blocks.(those are 3/4" finished) I love how it turned out, but wonder if I should have tried to turn the corners with the braid instead of placing a cornerstone there. Oh well, it stays as it lays!



Bricks & Stepping Stones
Next up was assembling my Bricks & Stepping Stones. I started this one last year and got the center all put together and both borders done on Thursday.



Bistro Kitchen accessories
I have been wanting to try a table runner with border fabric and I was surprised at how easy this was to do.



Then I made an oven mitt using a patten from Vanilla House designs that looks cute as can be, but needs some design adjustments. The area where your fingers and thumb go just isn't deep enough.



Flag Wall Hanging
Next up was some leftover blocks from this quilt. It's really too bad that I feel the need to keep these things and I think I could get a lot more accomplished if I didn't hang on to these "maybe someday I'll do something with them" items.
Anyway, I put the blocks together and added a border. Last night while watching Brother & Sisters, I pieced a backing, quilted it and added the binding.


I finally allowed myself to start something brand new....
Storyteller, which I am loving....see previous post

In between all that sewing, I taught the bag workshop to 5 people including Cheryl, from Chery's Quilt Shop. She said she was bag challenged and doubted that she could do it. Well, she not only finished her bag, but started another one.Purse/Bag makers at the retreat included: Vicki, Sandy, Marge, Anne, Denise, Loretta, Janet, Cheryl, and Judy.



The food was wonderful, the friends and fellowship were the BEST and guess what....I volunteered to chair the retreat next year!

2 comments:

Quilty bird said...

Wow, you got a lot accomplished! Great job. I like your butterflies, and the bricks & stones.

Re: the potholders. I cut out two of these

http://ansewon.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-02-16T15%3A18%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=7

in Easter fabrics, but haven't sewn them up yet. Maybe you could compare it to the pattern you used and make any alterations you see fit.

Quilter Kathy said...

You accomplished a lot! Love the Storyteller blocks! Your bricks and stones turned out great, and I love the braided border...I must try that!