Friday, January 14, 2011

Eye Glasses

For several years now I have been using the magnifying glasses you can buy at CVS or any drugstore, or even at the Dollar Tree. My regular vision has been just fine, but I needed help reading. I usually have a pair in my car, by my computer, in my sewing room, in my purse, at my office and I have loaned them to others when they have forgotten them. I have faithfully been to the eye doctor yearly, just to make sure everything is going well.

Last year he suggested that I might want to get some bifocals. I declined as I thought my far away vision was just fine. A month or so ago I went for a checkup and he suggested it once again. Not much change he said, but he thought I would be happy with progressive bifocals. I have noticed that it takes me a couple seconds to focus in on the alarm clock when I wake up at night, so I thought OK. Well, we got the glasses ordered and I went to pick them up and said, oh my, I can't use these. They said it's normal for someone to have to adjust to glasses if you've never worn them. So, I paid my $388 and went back to work. Sat down at my computer and this is what I saw:



Do you see that sharp area on the left side, well, that's the only in focus area on my whole screen. If I move my head to the right, I would see this:



and if I move my head even further to the right, I would see this.



Well, I'm a graphic designer and I really need to see all of my computer screen in focus at the same time. I called and they said I would have to follow my nose to keep things in focus. And that I would get used to it. I tried, just for kicks, to cut fabric and I got the ruler lined up on one end and then looked at the other end and lined it up, then I went back to the first end and it was unbelievably hard as I couldn't see in focus from one end to the other.

So, I called them back and they said they could remake the glasses for me to use at the computer at no additional charge. I went back in and they took some measurements and re-made my glasses. I now have a pair of reading glasses much like the ones I get at CVS for $11.99, and I only paid $388 for them. Of course, there are no refunds.

Those of you with progressive bifocals, how in the world do you see?

9 comments:

SandyQuilts said...

I use to have my glasses made ALL in biofocal ... no progressive, no line, no anything ... just biofocal.

Becky said...

Good luck. I tried to wear them after my cataract surgery as I had to have correction for astigmatism as well as for close. When I found out (after nearly$400) that you actually only had 3-4" in focus at a time I really felt cheated. I was also dizzy as I couldn't stand the curving of all my lines. At first they were hard in the sewing room. I had to set one end of the ruler, set the other, then ignore the curve when I cut it. I was finally able to sew with them. I bought walmart glasses for the computer, for reading in bed, etc. I needed new glasses last month. I went to executive bifocals, and still use the walmart glasses for the computer. Even when I wore tri-focals I still had computer glasses so I could see the whole screen at one time. Maybe someone else can give you pointers on using them. I just couldn't use them well.

Teri said...

I have worn progressive bifocals for 8 years or so I think. I do a lot of computer work to. You DO get used to them. After a while, your head and eyes just get used to doing what they need to do, and you don't even notice. I'm nearsighted also though. I can see fairly well up close without wearing my glasses, but it got to be a pain to take them off constantly so that I could see up close. I love my bifocals now.
Good luck!

Mimi said...

I know you don't want to hear this, but you DO get used to it. I have the progressive lens and work at a computer all day. good luck.

fiberobsession said...

I've had progressives for several years and get along great. I do remember when I first got them, I had trouble walking. The road was fuzzy and the same with stairs. Now I don't notice that at all.

Lissa Jane said...

I've had bifocals for 10 years now, since I turned 30.. It took me about a week to get used to them.. actually they aren't bifocals now, but TRIfocals.. I had a little bit of problem because I turned my eyes rather than my head to look at stuff.. I still do this from time to time becuase I read when watching TV and I tend to look over my glasses rather than through them.. I am a debt collector / data entry clerk so I use a computer for 40 hours a week using so I know what youa re saying, but it does get easier, you just gotta remember to move your head rather than your eyes.. I didn't realise my sight had got so bad until I got this pair of specs and driving home I thought 'wow I can read number plates and oh, I thought that sign had fuzzy writing on it... scary to think I was driving 100's of km's a week!

JuJu said...

Been wearing the progressive biofocal for some time ... but I do not wear them for computer work. I have a separate pair for computer work, so I'm not bobbing my heard up and down trying to read the screen. I work for a printing company so I'm staring at a computer screen for 40+ hours a week and several hours at home each night.

Beth said...

My eye doc told me to 'point my nose where I wanted to look'. I bet I looked REALLY funny those 1st couple of weeks trying to go down stairs CLINGING to the handrail! I do better now, but next pair, I'm going to have them fit my old frames with the reader part of my new prescription. I find myself tilting my head back to be able to read on the computer. Hang in there!

Sarah said...

I've had my progressives for about a year now. Tehy told me bifocals wouldn't fit in the frame that looks best on my face. I positively hated them for 3 or 4 months. Now I just dislike them. So much wasted lens space. Sorry for the big expense :(