Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Quilt for Maelyn

The first quilt of 2013.
One of my coworkers had a new granddaughter born on Sunday. The baby's mom had given me these fabrics to make some burp cloths and applique the baby's name on some gowns and when I gave the finished pieces to her, she said I could keep the fabrics. I told her I would make a quilt with them and I have actually made 2 quilts with those fabrics.

This one is for Maelyn:

Yikes, that orange zig-zag fabric makes the quilt look wonky! I didn't notice it until I saw this photo. I quilted it with Feather Me, mostly because it was on the table, but I think it is a fine choice for this girly little quilt. Hobbs 80/20 batting and light pink Permacore thread.

The backing is a pink minkee, so soft!

The other quilt is a Baby Bricks and I'll save it for the next baby girl. It's' quilted and the binding is started.

Here are the burp cloths:

2 comments:

marilyn said...

what's your trick for using Minky as a backing? I find it so hard to quilt with, it is stretchy and fuzzy and makes a ton of lint in the machine. I do love its feel, but it also makes the quilt so heavy.

Sheila said...

What a beautiful quilt! So sweet!