Yesterday I tried out a new technique on Mabel. I wanted to make a quilt for my grandson Matt for Christmas, and have been collecting basketball prints for a while. I bought 2 yards of sports themed fleece at Joanns ($2.99/yd) and loaded it, pinning the cut edges. I placed a 6" strip of basketball novelty cotton on the fleece, right side up. Then I placed a 3" strip of flannel on top of it and activated my horizontal channel lock and stitched from one side to the other. I smoothed out the flannel and placed another 6" basketball fabric strip....right side down and repeated the stitching.
The strips didn't go to the edges of the fleece so that I could sew a vertical border when finished. I guess I could have done that a little at a time as I went, but I didn't think of it until right this minute. Instead, I took it to my Janome and stitched the side borders on.
I squared it up and stitched the binding onto the back and will bring it to the front and maybe hand stitch, or maybe by machine. I stitched it to the back because I don't care to handstitch on fleece.
Then I made him a flannel pillowcase to match.