Wednesday, June 10, 2009

How Many Is Too Many?

Machines, that is.
I know that most quilters have many machines. I only have:
1.) Janome Decor Excell II 5024 for stitching
2.) Bernina Deco 330 for Embroidery
3.) Janome Gem Gold for taking to classes
4.) Mabel, the Gammill Premier Plus
And now I have added:
5.) White Speedylock Serger

I have been looking for a serger for some time now, but didn’t really want to pay more than $100 for one. I know that I won’t use it a lot, but it sure would be handy when making pillowcases for Quilts of Valor and also for cat pillows for the shelter. I plan to make some clothes for Elizabeth and would like to use it for that also.

On the trip back to the Kansas City airport after MQS, my friend Jane said that she had one listed on Craigslist. I offered to buy it if she didn’t get any offers online. I picked it up last week and Sunday was the first time I had to play with it. I wanted to do a rolled hem and took off one of the needles, changed the thread and in the process, I broke one of the threads, so I had to re-thread it. YIKES! It took a couple of tries, but I finally got it and was able to finish a couple of receiving blankets. They turned out pretty cute, I think.



Since this was only a draft, written last week, I must confess that I have purchased yet another sewing machine since I wrote it.

6.) Pfaff Tipmatic 1027
I saw this one on Craigslist on Monday for $15. It is pretty old, but purrs like a kitten. The bobbin case flap thingy is a little bent, so I ordered a new one on ebay tonight for $5.95. I'm thinking that this one will be a great machine for my granddaughter, who has been wanting to learn to sew.

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

Those Pfaff tipmatics are awesome machines and, in sewing, there's never too much of anything!

Howdy said...

Hmmm how many is too many? Well... I started (ages ago) collecting vintage machines... they seemed to just follow me home for awhile. There are a variety of treadles, some electric cabinets, a lot of 'portable' in the bentwood cases and a whole bunch of just heads...

One time in talking with someone I mentioned that I had 56 machines... my husband turned and said to me "56? You have to stop!"

So I did...
I stopped counting... :)

Which wasn't a problem until he decided to change jobs and we had to move... and I had to pack them up. I still couldn't count them because it's best to not know. Now they are all in the basement... there is little else in the basement... as there isn't any room for anything else. One day I hope to get back to fixing up vintage machines and or stripping the 'parts machines' down and selling the parts.

Until then I'd have to say 56+ is probably enough! LOL

Judy Laquidara said...

If I could find a Pfaff tipmatic, I'd be so happy! What a deal!