Friday, December 2, 2011

Dream Catcher

My fifth Scrap Squad quilt is called Dream Catcher. I LOVE this quilt!

I've been slowly collecting Asian/metallic prints and when I saw the pattern for this one, I knew that it was going to be really scrappy.....no diagonal color rows for me on this one. I guess I could have made it even scrappier by making the fabrics in each of the blocks totally scrappy.

This one is paper pieced and mine has 144 blocks and each block has 2 pieces. Don't they look pretty, trimmed and all stacked up here? Of course, this is only one little stack.



I began by cutting my fabrics in 7" strips. From those strips I cut four 3.5" pieces, 2 for the large segment and 2 to be cut in half, then in half again diagonally. I also subcut four 3" pieces, which I rough trimmed before sewing.







Once I got some blocks on my design wall, I knew I wanted this quilt on my bed, so, I printed out lots more pieces and cut more strips.


Look how nice the back looks with all those opposing seams:


I ended up with a big stack of triangles left over and decided to reverse my geese.


The sizes of my borders are:
Border #1 = 1" Dark
Border #2 = 1.75" WOW
Border #3 = 4.5" (flying geese - 34 per side)
Border #4 = 1.75" WOW
Border #5 = 3.5" Print


All done:


My stepson and his wife were married in November and this is their wedding quilt. So, I guess I'll be making another one if I want one on my bed.

7 comments:

Vicki W said...

That is a beautiful quilt!

Cheryl Willis said...

It turned out great! I would want to keep it too! cw

Darling Jill Quilts said...

It's gorgeous!! Job well done, Ruthie!

Jennifer said...

Great quilt, I love the colors!

Sheila said...

I love how this turned out!! I haven't seen the mag yet... is there an option to do it w/o paper piecing?

fiberobsession said...

Wow, that turned out wonderfully! Is the background white or cream? It looks different in the different pics.

Unknown said...

I really like this quilt a LOT! Where can I find the pattern?