Thursday, January 27, 2011

Quiltmaker Scrap Squad



It's time for the big reveal!

When I saw the call for participation in the Scrap Squad, I knew it was for me. I have long been known as the "quilter who doesn't do random." And I didn't, until I started following Bonnie from Quiltville. Her quilts really got me out of my little matchy, matchy box and helped me create great scrappy quilts.

My oldest grandson, Tony, asked for a quilt for his new apartment and I planned to make one for him in burgandys and tans, using the first Scrap Squad pattern. But when I saw the Rhapsody in Bloom pattern, I changed my mind. I had a stack of floral fat quarters from an online birthday swap and decided to use them. My quilt is not what I call striking, but has a blended look. Tony's quilt will be the next one I make, as I think this one will be a very nice Quilt of Valor for a female soldier.

Here's what I started with:



On the design wall, deciding if I wanted to keep all the segments of each block together, or randomize them??? I actually sewed my quilt together in rows, and not blocks. That process works best for my brain.



A closeup of some of the fabrics:



The back:


The finished Rhapsody in Bloom:


The pattern was designed by a teenage boy. If you subscribe to Quiltmaker, you will want to check out this pattern.

Check out the other Scrap Squad members quilts. They are stunning!
Jane
Dionne
Kim
Donna
Pat
Carol
Linda

Visit Quilters Club of America and check out the Scrap Squad Group.

Thank you Quiltmaker for this wonderful opportunity! Be sure to visit the Quiltmaker Quilty Pleasures Blog to see all the other beautiful quilts.

2 comments:

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Great quilt!! And the pattern was designed by a teenage boy? So impressive!! :)

Dionne said...

I love your RIB!
Cheers,
Dionne