Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Geocaching

Dan has a new hobby and here is a brief explanation of it from wazoogle.
Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for GPS users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capabilities of a GPS (Global Positioning System) . The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is; if they take something from the cache, they should try to leave something for the cache. There is usually a log book in the cache to fill out with your name and date of the find. The cache itself could be as large as a Tupperware container or as small as a matchbox.

Dan asked me for a quilt block to leave in the box, so I wrote "Ruthie's Quilting, Lafayette, IN" on a piece of ribbon and stitched it on the back of this block.

As long as I'm talking about caches.
A week or so ago I got a new block to test from Marcia at quilterscache.com
I have been pretty busy in the past few months and have taken a bit longer than I wanted to getting my test blocks done. There were 2 different sizes this time and I was on a roll and stayed up past midnight sewing. I took a picture of them the next morning and whoops, I guess it doesn't pay to sew after midnight.



Yep, I had to do some frogging.........Cute blocks, but here is what they are supposed to look like.

Hmm...........Geocache / Quilterscache, I wonder if there are any quilters out there playing the geocache game?

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Your husband's new hobby sounds great fun - and time consuming!

What's frogging?

Purple and Paisley said...

hi ruthie...your blocks still look good...isn't it frustrating when something doesn't turn out quite right? as far as my tumbler bows quilt...easy, easy, easy! probably the easiest quilt i've ever made...=)

Maya said...

My DH and I were very into geocaching a few years ago. We loved the mystery caches and placed a few of our own. Unfortunately with work and other things, we've not 'cached' for a while. Your post makes me want to search for a cache again.
Those blocks look great anyway! I don't hate my seam ripper but when a block is all done, it is annoying to have to take the seams out again.

Doodlebug Gail said...

What pretty blocks - can't wait to see them all together, the corners are going to bring out a whole new design.

Ohio Quilter said...

that sounds like fun and great way to exercise too. Too cool

janetsue2 said...

Ruthie,
Pam Larsen and her husband would do geocaching before they moved to Oregon. They loved looking for the treasure and sometimes they even took their dog. I'll bet they still go geocaching when they aren't snugggling the grand baby.:) I think it would be kind of fun. If I took hand work with me. How about you?