Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Bittersweet Finish

I finished piecing this quilt and then quilted it and put the binding on for a mom in the area who lost her son 2 1/2 years ago, shortly after he joined the military. They picked out the fabrics and pattern together while he was home on leave after basic training. She started on the quilt and several months later he was killed. It was just too difficult for her to finish it, but she wanted it finished. There were four rows completed and most of the rest of the blocks had been made.

I was certainly happy to do this for her and I hope it brings her comfort. The batting is warm & natural and I used Eggshell PermaCore thread, the quilting is a loopy meander with a wonky sort of star in each of the star blocks, as was pictured with the pattern.

We had a nice chat while she was here and when she left the house last night, she said that she hoped that I never got to join her club. That would be the Gold Star Mothers organization for mother who have lost one or more children in the military.



Kathleen, my prayers are with you!

9 comments:

SandyQuilts said...

It's a beautiful quilt and I hope it will bring her some comfort. I'm so sorry for her loss.

Thank you.

Purple and Paisley said...

my prayers are with her, too...how terrible to lose a child...

the quilt will mean so much to her one day...

Mimi said...

How sad....but it is a beautiful quilt and it really dances. I think it will bring her comfort especially with the memory that he helped pick out the colors with her.

Mel said...

How wonderful that you could help the mother with a wonderful memory of her son!

The quilting is beautiful!

Susan said...

I can't imagine the pain of losing a child. You are so kind to finish that quilt for her. Now when she sees it she will have the pleasure of knowing how kind your were to finish it to take the edge off the sorrow of losing her son.

JuJu said...

Ruth, I often read your blog, this time I had to comment. Thank you for finishing this quilt .... I have lost a child, my daughter, not due to military service, so I understand how difficult it is for your friend to finish... this will bring her much comfort and she will hold you close to her heart for completing it. Julia, NE

Judy Laquidara said...

Made me cry! Beautiful quilt. Thanks Ruthie for being there to finish it for her!

Vicki W said...

Beautiful quilt and it will be sure be treasured!

Gone to Find Myself said...

It sure brings tears to my eyes!
It is very beautiful.