Monday, December 31, 2007

Stashbusting Hunters Star

I made a signature quilt for my daughter and her husband the first Christmas after they got married. I scanned their guest book for the signatures and printed them on fabric sheets and then cut out the trapezoid shapes to fit into the Hunters Star blocks. My niece has a friend that saw the quilt and wants one just like it- minus the signatures, of course, and in browns, tans, earth colors.

Well, I made the original one looking at a pattern in a magazine, but didn't use their pattern. Instead I drew the blocks out in Illustrator and printed out the sheets to paper piece the blocks. I don't know if I saved the file or not, but decided to go ahead and draw another one. Of course, I knew the shapes. I assembled all the fabrics from my stash and rough cut all of them. I started sewing the paper pieced blocks and didn't put them on the design wall until I had half of the blocks stitched, trimmed and had the paper removed. OMG, imagine my surprise when I figured out that I had not created a Hunters Star block!! I'm not sure of the name of this blocks, but I like the scrappy look of it. With a small border, it will make a nice QOV, and I have enough rough cut pieces that I can make another one just like it.

Back to the computer to draw the correct block. I printed out 48 sheets of the block, stitched them, trimmed them, removed the paper and sewed the blocks together this weekend. I loaded it on Sunday afternoon, quilted it with the Peacock Meander panto by Linda Taylor using Camel PermaCore thread and now all it needs is the binding.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Ruthie, you are amazing! Both those quilts are beautiful!You are one inspiring Lady! And the quilting is perfect!