Monday, May 13, 2013

Lois' 1600 Quilt, Thread and Bobbins!

Now, here is a 1600 quilt that I really like. I'm not sure if she used a jelly roll or just put the fabrics together herself. Either way, it's a striking 1600 quilt.

I used a new panto that I picked up in Cincinnati called Becker's Ferns. I think it works well for this quilt. I used PermaCore Bambi thread.

Speaking of thread.....

I am slowly but surely using up my PermaCore thread. It's what came with Mabel and I have had wonderful results with it. When Superior Threads came out with Omni, I tried it and had great results with it also. Maybe just a bit better than the PermaCore and it's a little cheaper.

I usually try to check my stitches within the first few minutes of starting a quilt, but sometimes I just get to focused on the quilt and forget until I do that first advance. 95% of the time the stitches are perfect. The 5% that it isn't, It's usually something minor to fix.  I have determined that the black bobbins that you can buy for around $1 each aren't exactly the same thickness as the $3 bronze ones. The black ones cause me to have random flat lines with my top thread. It took me quite a while to figure out the problem, but Dan measured the bobbins with a micrometer and that's what the problem seems to be.

No comments: