I attended a strip/string workshop on Saturday and was amazed at all the different designs. I had seen a fish quilt made with strings here and wanted to do something similar. So I drew the block on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper and figured out my measurements. I like having each row offset and the fish going in a different direction.
Here is what I drew to make these blocks. The foundation pieced fish body was trimmed to 6.5 and then I used 5.5" squares cut in half for the triangles. The striped fabric tail could be paper pieced, but I just cut the pieces to fit and sewed them. I added a 2"x9" spacer to each tail section.