Thursday, March 6, 2008

The March Challenge Quilt

I'm not sure when exactly I cut the fabric for my online March Challenge, Catch a Spinning Star, one of JulyL's free patterns, but I would guess it was late at night. I cut 6 squares that were supposed to be 5.25 x 5.25 like this:

They were cut 5 x 5.25 instead.
Which wouldn't be a bad thing except............ when I was clearing off my cutting table I cut all those 2" black squares so I wouldn't have to put any back into my scrap totes.

I said a few choice words to myself last night and then went in search of more black solid, which I found, luckily, in my black scrap tote. It's not the same fabric, but at least it's a solid black.

So, I continued on, making the blocks for this quilt. I finished putting together 12 blocks and still had these left over:

I must have been really tired when I cut this one out.


I sewed the sashing strips together and put 8 of the 12 up on the design wall. I really like this one and may make more blocks, since I already have half of them sewn, and make this a queen size.

5 comments:

Laura said...

I think we all have done the cutting mistakes before that we were sure we had done correctly. I love the colors in this one.

gracie said...

Ruthie....

It looks great! I couldn't even begin to tell you how often I have exercised those kinds of creative cutting skills. I tell people I am blond not stupid but sometimes, I dunno LOL!

I am so glad you are doing the March Challenge w/all of us! Your quilt is gonna be spectacular :)

xoxooxoxo

Rhonda said...

The quilt looks great! Love the black & white! I make mistakes with my cutting all the time when I'm tire too.

Thanks for your comment over at my blog (Doxies on My Quilt) about the HQ16. What made you decide to go with the Gammil instead?
Rhonda

Ruthie said...

Rhonda - The Gammill was only $1000 more and I thought the Home Pro table and rollers were sturdier. Also, the machine itself reminded me so much of my Janome (which I love, by the way), but I wanted something more heavy-duty. I know some HQ16 owners and they love them. One of my friends went from a Gammill to an HQ16 because of space and loves it. I'm sure you will love yours, too!

julieQ said...

Very pretty the way it all turned out! I have cut whole quilts out wrong before... sigh...so don't feel toooo bad!