Monday, June 2, 2008

Cat Bags/Beds

For several months now I have been saving all my fabric trash and using it for stuffing for cat bags for the local humane society. My friend Janet got me started and I have probably made a dozen of them. The guild had a bolt of fabric for the outside and I used that for several of them and then Janet gave me some to use, but I ran out of hers this week and used some of my stash to make 3 of them. They use a half-yard piece each and then you just fill them with this stuff and serge/double stitch them closed.



Having the longarm, I can fill at least one of these a week. Here are 5 of them ready to go to guild tomorrow night.



A great stashbuster for those fabrics that you look at and think, "Why did I buy this?"

2 comments:

merrily row said...

What a good person you are. Is it just 18 x 20 sewed on three sides and stuffed. I will have to give this a try.

Karen (Misiz C) said...

Great idea! Just heard about using batting scraps for pet beds at a recent retreat. Your post reminded me to give it a try. I think I'll try to find some fleece for the covers... my furry boys take turns claiming the one and only fleece blanket. I can only imagine the competition if it were stuffed with batting & scraps. :c)